<
www.flickr.com
>

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

slightly delayed post...

There and back already. Seems like just a few days ago I was to the point of vomiting I was so nervous about touching down in the mother country after 22 solid months in West Africa. Dressed in my uber-hippie style Benin fabric skirt and an already dirty shirt, I left our Close of Service conference that was winding down to catch a 3am flight to Morocco then JFK. Not only does it take forever to get anywhere IN Benin, but it takes forever to get anywhere OUT of Benin. I had to show up around 7pm because I snagged a free ride there and it’s not smart to moto-taxi around at 2am with a couple hundred dollars and your computer…just for future reference. Don’t worry about me being bored though! I brought 3 types of reading material and had an arsenal of friends to text message….so of course I just took a nap. Right there on my pack, on the floor of the Cotonou airport, mosquitoes eating me alive but refusing to go sit in the air conditioned lounge as a 90 year old priest was doing calisthenics…preventing the clot?...and I would have frozen to death, they really crank it up for the ex-pats. Good thing it started pouring AFTER I got there. The only bad part was that it cut the power at least 3 times so the fans stopped working and then we just sweat all over the floor. About this time, after the lights came back for a bit, a nice enough guy walked over and after he proposed and I refused by saying men are expensive and liars (calm down folks, was just trying to head him off at the pass). After a few more blatant refusals, he left with his friends and I continued my nap, mosquitoes and all. I passed out almost as soon as I sat down on the plane. Royal Air Maroc is a great airline to fly. Even if you need some bells and whistles, from what I glimpsed, first class was doing all right. They even give you these little socks as they understand we’re coming off the equator, are freezing, and most likely not wearing appropriate foot attire. Good thing I didn’t realize I was in possession of socks until after I got off the flight  They keep those planes cold! We touched down in Accra to pick up a load of people, just like a bush taxi! I woke up terrified because it’s only a half hour flight and I had no idea why we were landing so early. It was dark so I scrunched my face up in preparation of a crash landing; thinking “ I better get at least one more piece of cheesecake before I die!” All was well and we got to Morocco by 8am or so. We had to change planes but were directed better than a herd of cattle so it worked out. There was a couple (who turned out to be really nice) who were driving me nuts. They had to figure out why their friends got bumped out of first class as the girl was the only one who spoke spotty French and once I heard her say “honey, get the dictionary!” I asked if they needed some help and we got it regulated. Was actually a good thing that happened b/c it got me comfortable talking to people, up until then I just hadn’t had a desire to be chatty. Once it came out that I was in Peace Corps, one of the other girls on the flight said she’d just signed her closing papers in Togo – we’re NEIGHBORS! The switch flipped on and it was full franglais and government acronyms for the rest of the conversation. She even gave me the book she finished on the plane, in true volunteer form, pcvs are always starving for more reading material. We got to JFK but they wouldn’t let us de-board (that’s a word right?) due to a few problems which the captain just rattled off to the zillions of standing, cranky people in his craft. After we sat down and stood up a few more times and taxi-ed around the tarmac, just for fun I think, they freed us and I blew through the customs. I grabbed my singular, overstuffed backpack and took off. My debit card still worked in the ATM so I got some cash and rather than take the expensive direct shuttle to Penn Station, I said nah, I’ll suck it up and figure the subway out from JFK to the Amtrak place. Liking NYC more and more. It worked perfectly! The problem was that Toot (who picked me up in Philly) and I didn’t factor in wait time so she ended up hanging around the Philadelphia train stop for 4 hours. That’s ok, don’t feel bad at all because I seem to remember a time, not too long ago when she didn’t arrive in Benin for DAYS, so it worked out. We got right in the car and drove straight home to Painesville. She even let me take the reigns for awhile and it was awesome, forgot how great driving yourself is! Rolled into my actual driveway at 4am, exhausted, kooky, and ready for a big sleep. No such luck as Mr. Miller was up and ready. Big hugs were had by all and the whole family decided to wake up. I think that means it’s time to eat cheesecake! We all had a fat piece and tucked ourselves back into bed. Poor toot, I was back up at 8am b/c the time change just screwed me up. No one else was up yet so we went downstairs to make coffee and toast. The damn coffee pot ran everywhere as I forgot to put about half the pieces and parts in it before the brew so Toot about died laughing while I raced around my totally new kitchen that is totally unfamiliar and tried not to ruin it before my mom got up. All went well and so began the vacation of gluttony. We must have consumed a whole pig worth of bacon that morning alone. I’m pretty sure that during my entire time home, my mouth was only empty when I was talking about getting more. The weight gain feels good though, comfortable, back in freshman year at Kent all over again. A few months ago, I sent my mom a list of things I NEEDEED to eat. We covered all those bases, a few times. I don’t need a beer for at least, well, a week or so. I made the library thank you rounds and updated people on what’s going on now. The check is waiting in Cotonou to cash and we should be standing in an actual room some time soon. This post would be too large to post if I went into detail about the madness that was my visit. All I need to say is that I saw my rugby ladies, saw my high school homies, and watched my sister walk across the stage at Harvey High with the biggest smile on her face that she’s ever made. That was really the whole reason I came home so glad it was a success! Also had the opportunity to talk to a friend who is just starting her Peace Corps journey this month, what a great feeling that is! I’m glad I’m winding down though, it’s time. I have no idea what filled up all our time but mom and I didn’t get one free second to touch the yard but we did manage to spend an entire weekend at dad’s new boat club. We accidentally spent 4 and a half hours out until right after sunset so I think I’ve racked up enough credit to be gone for a little bit longer. I’d list all the fabulous foods I ate but most of you readers live in the States all the time and butter on toast just doesn’t turn you all on like it does me. All in all, mom was a rockstar and had running water in the kitchen in time for me, cooked and cleaned the whole time too. Dad, well, we all know Mr. Butch is well, Mr. Butch, ‘nuff said. And my sister is going to Kent in the fall, life’s pretty posh right now. I’m in NYC sitting at a starbucks, sipping a vat of coffee after a full day at the Natural History museum. Air Maroc bumped my flight up a day so I fly out tonight and they are paying for me to have a night in Casablanca…..I keep saying life is so hard right?
So, thanks to everyone who dug into this library, NORVA (northern ohio returned volunteer assoc.), Painesville City Police Department, Ashley Kaufman and her crew at Seton Hill, Friends of Morely Library, Sandy the News Herald writer who did the article, countless more friends and family, Sandy Miller became a full fledged volunteer for a few months, and all the other people who made things a little smoother or just listened when I needed to scream. It’s been worth it! I’ll keep updating. In case anyone doesn’t know, I am done with my service in early September, so we’ve got a few months to wrap up. Hope all is well, oh and a new email- rmiller100@google.com but if it doesn’t work, just use the old one. Cheers all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Miller said...

GREAT Post!! I am almost recovered and slapping the garden into shape! so much to do so little time........
enjoy the heck out of your last few fleeting moments in Benin.......... I know you will return someday...
hopefully with the madpotter in tow.
miss you loads but still recovering...... :-)
luv
mum

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FuhLetteNus [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-codeine-no-prescription-online]Buy Codeine no prescription online[/url] [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Codeine-online.aspx]Order cheap Codeine online[/url]

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Оскар уайльд золото пробуют огнем женщину золотом а мужчину женщиной
!!!

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home