<
www.flickr.com
>

Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm in Cotonou right now for my second and final All-Vol conference. Lots of things swimming around in my head, none made clearer by the soggy air and big city grit I tend to pick up when I'm down here. I can't believe things are winding down as far as my service timeline is concerned. In reality, I've really hit my stride and will certainly be sprinting at the end, probably signing project papers the same day I leave Benin. I'll spare you all my touchy feely thoughts about the country I've come to know in the best way a foreigner can, for now.
Among other projects, I think it's safe to say, this library is the most taxing but by far the most rewarding for all parties involved. When this animal of an idea began to grow, I realized this could really happen...but I couldn't do it alone. People in Guinagourou could not keep their mouths shut, least of all my work partner David; and now the pressure is on. Even though the money is still in the process of coming, he can't help but go clear a little piece of the land every now and then. My friend, Tailor (because he's a tailor)has put his army of kids on it and we've got the space almost ready. This man gets it! He just bought a bike for his boy Gros, who is one of the most intelligent kids I have encountered, not just in Benin. This man sometimes has to borrow $10 to start a soy crop but he saved enough money so his son can bike the 2k to 7th grade everyday. One of the most frightening things I've seen in this country is the man who chainsaw-ed the big trees in flip flops and had to repeatedly have his apprentice jump on the trunk to unstick the blade. But we all got new yam-pounding mortars and pestles from the wood so it paid off!
I could not possibly begin to quantify the amount of support we have received from across the big pond in the states. My mom has evolved into a 100% full time volunteer and deserves all the perks we get...apart from the parasites. The Mugs for Rachael project has raised over $2,000 to date, and still counting. It has also prompted very generous donations of clay and a list of book donors have come out of the woodwork. Cheers to librarians and school teachers! On a more personal level, this project has brought people back into our lives who were never forgotten but hey, life kind of passes by when you're living it. The News Herald just ran an article by a journalist who really heard what my mom and I are saying. Had it been culturally appropriate for me to cry I would have...but it's not. Here's the link but apparently the actual paper has some great photos.
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19427775&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=6
So finally, thanks to all who are making this happen. What more can I say than that? "Thanks" can only be typed in so large a font and in so many colors. The people who are truly thankful can say it in a million languages, but I only understand 2. I feel the true sign of appreciation and accomplishment will show in time with the dedication of the student librarian staff and upkeep by the community. Sustainable projects do not happen in a week, month, or even the length of a Peace Corps volunteer's service. I feel incredibly lucky to have been placed at a post where communication can and will continue after I leave.
I'm coming home to see my sister graduate from Harvey High in May and hope to share many cups of coffee with anyone interested. Today I'm off to sell moringa to a health center in a town called Come for people living with HIV/AIDS. Hope all is well!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thank YOU for your cooperation and availability for the story. Sounds like your mom's got her hands full now - quite literally! :) It was a pleasure speaking with you, and we're looking forward to library updates. Congratulations on an amazing project, have a safe trip home, and keep up the stellar work.

Sandy

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home