<
www.flickr.com
>

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas in Benin

Well, we did it. the volunteer class of 2006 made it through our first Christmas. AND we had a great time! Christmas Eve, we helped give a party for about 120 orphans through an NGO called Victory Way in Parakou. We gave presents that had been donated throughout the year and the staff cooked a fabulous meal of goat and rice. As I said in the pictures, this was probably one of the only times these kids will get a piece of meat for the year. Though it did feel good to be involved and give just a little something to these kids, I do not think I would do it again. The surface message being sent was not something I agree with. We are here to teach and promote self-sustainable skills and mass giving, though an amazing quick-fix does not mesh with the long term plan. Christmas day was nice with the other volunteers. We started with a pancake breakfast and went to a hotel pool. After a relaxing day we ended by treating ourselves to the nicest dinner I've had in country. I had salad and pizza with a glass of wine followed by a beer. This whole meal cost about $16 USD. I remember in the states when I used to drop that with no problem at a burger king. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will have a great new year. Christmas is pretty widely practiced here but teh huge party comes in January. It's called Tabaski and it's a Muslim tradition. So far the only thing I can get out of people about it is that LOTS of goats are killed and eaten. Whoo-Hoo, meat!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachael! Christmas was very warm and rainy here.
It was very nice, low key and quiet. I like the solstice gathering the best of all. We missed you and wondered if you had anything you wanted to burn this year. I have purged my desk and files and am still burning stuff! The food, drink and company was wonderful this year! Ok about this Goat killing holiday.........
Please don't put pix on the blog of any goats meeting the great Goat God in the sky...........so are there stockings on this holiday or gingerbread goats?
I will send more granola and coffee..........
Maybe you need a corgi to round up those goats.
Miss you much and hope those pesky parasites have gone.
luv
the mad potter of Paine Falls!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home